Monday 11 May 2009

Day -1: An unusual visit

22.4.09 - My first taste of Saudi culture was my visit to the Saudi Embassy in London to get our visas. I turn up there only to be told that I have the wrong paperwork, a common theme in our numerous attempts to get visas organised, so I ask to see the Deputy Consul whose name I had been given as a contact. After a thumbs up from security, I am given a pass and told to go to the second floor. I make my way up, alone, and swipe myself in. I end up in an long deserted corridor with lots of doors, and standing there in the very heart of the Saudi embassy I start feeling a little awkward, What I’m supposed to do? I walk around a bit, trying not to look suspicious, thinking this is a high security building, and here I am wondering around the consul's offices. Luckily a Saudi lady comes along, and kindly leads me to the consul’s office. By then It’s become clear that I stand out like a sore thumb, I’m the only white, and the only one showing flesh, albeit a modest amount between knee and ankle, and I feel completely out of place. I enter the office and neither the consul or I know whether to shake hands so we awkwardly shuffle around a bit on either side of his desk until he decides that it’s OK for me to sit and makes me feel welcome. The chair I’m sitting in is set-up in such a way that I’m not actually facing his desk or him but facing the door so I’m at a strange angle and have to turn round to talk to him. This is, to my knowledge, my first close encounter with a Saudi man. Although he looks stern, he does get the visas organised pretty quickly and I realise that he has done us a big favour when a subtle request for a favour from me is requested…. he would like to practice English with my family!!! We’re still working on that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment